Asus Zenfone 3S Max is the newest member of Zenfone series with batteries. The new model comes with a massive 5000 mAh battery and a surprisingly compact design. We really like the fact that companies started to make smartphones with really big batteries.
The phone also comes with an 5.2 inch IPS display at the resolution of 720p, 3 GB RAM, a octa-core MediaTek MT6750 CPU with 4 cores at 1.5 GHz and 4 cores at 1 GHz. At the firs look, we can say that Asus Zenfone 3S Max doesn’ really blow our mind with its specifications.
Asus Zenfone 3S Max Specifications:
- 5.2 Inch (720 x 1280 pixels) IPS LCD protected with Scratch Resistant (2.5D Curved Glass);
- 1.5 GHz Octa Core MediaTek MT6750 Processor with Mali T860 GPU
- 3 GB RAM and 32 GB, 64 GB internal storage (MicroSD up to 2 TB)
- Runs on Android 7.0 Nougat (Asus Zen UI 3.1)
- 13 Megapixels (f/2.0 aperture, phase detection AF) rear camera with two-tone LED Flash and a 8 Megapixels front-facing camera
- Dimensions: 149.5 x 73.7 x 8.85 mm; Weight: 170 g
- Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n, GPS (A-GPS, GLONASS, Beidou), Bluetooth 4.0, microUSB 2.0 USB, 3.5mm Headphone Jack, Fingerprint
- Li-Po 5000 mAh battery
Asus Zenfone 3S Max comes with a 5.2 inch IPS LCD display with the resolution of 720 x 1280 pixels (282 ppi). Lately we’ve seen a lot of low-end smartphones wit 1080p resolution screens, the screen on this model seems to be a bit outdated. The colors on this screen aren’t quite accurate, viewing angles falter considerably, the phone doesn’t have a color calibration utility and it isn’t get bright enough outdoors.
Seems that Asus Zenfone 3S Max is the first smartphone from the company that comes with Android 7.0 Nougat out of the box with Asus ZenUI 3.0 skin on top.
There is a DPI setting feature that can change the size of UI elements, a Unicode 9.0 emoji set and a JIT compiler. There are also some bloatware installed applications on the phone with no use at all.
The UI comes with a lot of customization options, mods, icon packs, fonts, icon size and themes to choose from.
We really didn’t expect too much performance from the MediaTek MT6750 CPU. Sadly, the performance on this device is quite low. The 3 GB of RAM is good for the multi-tasking, but the single-core performance on this chip is mediocre.
- GeekBench 4 (single-core) – 592
- GeekBench 4 (CPU multi-core) – 2441
- Basemark X – 4991
- GFX 3.1 Car scene (onscreen) – 4.3
- GFX 3.0 Manhattan (onscreen) – 11
- GFX 3.0 Manhattan (1080p offscreen) – 5.3
- GFX 3.1 Manhattan (onscreen) – 8.7
- GFX 3.1 Manhattan (1080p offscreen) – 3.5
- GFX 3.1 Car scene (offscreen) – 1.9
- Basemark OS 2.0 – 830
- AnTuTu 6 – 39439
Asus Zenfone 3S Max comes with a 13 Megapixels main camera with f/2.0 aperture, autofocus and two-tone dual LED flash for illumination. The photos made by this camera are quite good, the quality is not that good, the colors are nice and decent dynamic range. However, some photos was out of focus.
The 8 Megapixels front-facing camera makes good photos with good detail level and nice colors.
The 5000 mAh battery gives Asus Zenfone 3S Max an excellent battery life. The battery managed to resist up to two days of standby and up to 10 hours of intense usage. Sadly, there is no fast charging technology on this phone and comes with a 10 W charger.
Asus Zenfone 3S Max is a phone with a very good battery life, nothing more. If you are a premium user, you will be quite disappointed by its performance level. However, if you are in search for a phone with good battery life, this is the one.
More information about the price can be found here.